Thursday, April 1, 2010

Czech's in the Mail

Despite the "going it alone" myth, Operation Iraqi Freedom was a coalition operation, there were thousands of coalition soldiers and civilians. One such civilian was woman from the Czech Republic who had diplomat status and was assisting us in the development of an “NGO” culture within Iraqi Society (Non-Governmental Organizations – charities). I found myself working with her more and more as time went on and she invited me to go on two trips outside the Green Zone. The first trip was to an Iraqi Ministry that was overall responsible for NGO laws and regulation. We took her car. As a diplomat, she was entitled to a car and driver. In fact, we had two escorts, both Czech Special Forces and armed to the teeth. The car was an innocuous looking Isuzu on the outside. On the inside the front seat and dash board area looked like the cockpit of an F-16 fighter. I was looking for the toggle switch that launched the anti-aircraft rockets, James Bond style. Bullet proof glass. Gun racks large and small with guns mounted large and small. We drove the Minister’s Office and were greeted by a bevy of very attractive young ladies. The Minister was an older man in his 60’s. These ladies waited on him hand and foot. And us too. We sat in the Minister’s office conducting our business. Or rather, my Czech friend conducted the business. I was along for the ride and enjoying my Heineken and pistachio cookies. The result of this meeting was that we were invited to a soiree at the Baghdad Hunt Club the next day. It was an evening event and I had to get permission to attend. I would be alone and in civilian clothes. The Hunt Club was a vestige of the British Empire days and Saddam retained its use for his cronies. The evening of the event, I was picked up at my house. My Czech friend had an evening gown on. I was in the best civilian clothes I had at the time – dockers, polo shirt, and combat boots. I had my mini 9mm pistol in my pocket. We drove the event and there was valet service. We were searched on entry and the guards told me that I couldn’t take my pistol inside. I had to leave my pistol with our two bodyguards. Felt a little nervous on that one. So, here I am at a soiree where everyone is dressed at least in business casual attire. Being served trays of hors d’oerves and then eventually moving through a buffet line. Lots of cocktails and socializing. Then we took our seats and some speeches were made (in Arabic). Some small table talk and then a few hours later back to my house. Nothing eventful, just an evening out in Baghdad in 2003.

No comments:

Post a Comment